Introductions

Re: Introductions

Neil mcNasty
Hi there, can´t believe I´ve missed this post...

I´m Neil from the far west of Norway, and I am have been a touring Light-Designer/Songwriter/Producer and Video-director for the last 23 years, based out of Oslo.
I recently returned back home west where I belong, and I am now leaving the touring business, getting a normal job, and focusing mainly on my own music + stating a non-profit/low-cost artist consulting/promoting service, that helps new and young talents breaking into the music industry and reaching their goals and dreams.

I got into pedal building about 4 years ago, and it is something that has ruined me economically, but has give me the most wonderfull time/sound ever.
One thing is for shure: I´m not going to run out of electronic parts for a while. Specially Germanium Transistors!

It is worth notesing that I sometimes have a big problem with a variant of ADD that, when combined with depression and lack of medication (weed is actually the only thing that helps me focus and keep a clear mind), can results in some very stupid behaviour and lack of self-control/awareness.
Something that many of you were witness to recently on this forum, when a lot of things came crashing down around me.
This is something I owe many an apollogy for... Specially the wonderfull people who has steped in lately to help make this place what it is today.
Meaning: sometimes things comes out in a completly wrong way,and I sometimes only can see this after the fact when the damage has been done.
Luckily I have great ability and experience in admiting that i was wrong, and I promise not to ever try stop smoking/medicating myself again.
...So bear with me if I sometimes seem a bit strange.
My intentions are 100% good, and my greatest passion in life is to help people and share knowledge, so that we can expand to greatness together!

Re: Introductions

Hozy31
I seemed to have missed this thread as well.

Hi I am Gav 43 from Sheffield UK (originally from South Queensferry nr Edinburgh). I work as a Research Assistant at the University teaching PhD students and Postdocs molecular genetics in the field of population  and conservation genetics. I also do a fair bit of research also. I have now been doing this for over 10 years.

Have had an interest in hobby electronics for only just over a year. However, my first job out of school was doing a YTS course on electronics which landed me a job in a PCB factory where i worked for ~5 years. So i have dabbled before. Got into playing guitar just over two years ago and then rapidly discovered pedals which led to me discovering this site.

My building has moved up a gear and i now make my own PCBs as well as the tagboard. I find building pedals so therapeutic that it has turned into a full blown obsession.

Long live the DIY guitar pedal community!

EDIT: Must give a big shout out to my Dad who was an electronics engineer with Ferranti and then with Hewlett Packard for some 30 odd years. I remember being fascinated watching him mending our TVs and any electric equipment that died in the house. Cheers Dad.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Introductions

Frank_NH
I don't recall adding to this thread either.

I'm from New Hampshire, USA (hence my handle Frank_NH), and work as a mechanical engineer with simulation software (computational fluid dynamics) for my day job (have bachelors and post grad degrees).  My Dad was an electronics technician for over 40 years and electronics was his hobby.  I have fond memories of my Dad and I visiting our local Radio Shack so we could pick up a radio or TV that didn't work for a couple of bucks.  He would then fix them, and it was usually something simple like a bad switch or capacitor. Hey - a $200 TV for $20!  He also taught me how to solder.  The number one tip for soldering - don't put the solder in your mouth  (heh).

Growing up I also got heavily into playing the guitar (was and still am a big Beatles fan).  I eventually got into building guitars (electric first then acoustic), which I still pursue.  And when my Dad passed away about 7 years ago, I inherited a lot of his electronics gear and supplies.  I always intended to use the parts for something and when I found this site I and did my first project, I was hooked!  That was about 30 overdrive/distortions ago.

One of the side benefits of working with pedals has been that I've learned a tremendous amount about electronics theory and applications in general, from op amps to FETS to diodes.   I know better how filters work, what impedance means, how to bias a fet amplifier, and more.  So, in terms of my technical education, this has been quite rewarding.

And it's been fun to hang out online with the folks around here over the past two years.  I've enjoyed supporting the projects and helping people debug their builds (that how I learn as well - trying to see why something doesn't work).  I'll probably slow down my build rate so I can focus more on some unfinished guitar projects, but the minute I think I've built every overdrive, distortion or fuzz, there's something new that comes along and sparks my interest.  May it ever be so.  cheers!  Frank_NH

RE: Introductions

Chris60601
This post was updated on .
Meh....

I was created sometime in the last half of last century.
I aim to live up in the mountains somewhere in Montana, Alaska, or Wyoming (note the avatar).

I wish to live off the land and grid while building pedals, creating pcb's, drink coffee in my robe and slippers in the middle of the afternoon and take naps when I choose to

Been learning electronics for a little over a year now. Started with veros and now pretty much devote my time building my Eagle Cad skills and building what I design.

I am working on a few original stomps (whatever original means now a days).

I try not to burden the groups I belong to with questions since most have been asked and can be researched online.

That's really it for the social engineering for now
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Introductions

SonusFluxa
Hello everyone, I'm Ren, based out of Brooklyn, NY. Social scientist by training, cook by trade.

I got into electronics earlier this year after wanting a woolly mammoth and then realizing that I could build one for way cheaper than they cost. This lead to another pedal, then another, then a synth, and now I'm hooked.

I've been a musician for a significant portion of my life, been a fan of noisy music for about just as long, and love finding ways to extend the range of sounds that can be produced/manipulated by guitar, so this hobby is right up my alley.

I'm still in the process of learning, but I feel like I learn something new every day, much of which comes from all of you, and for that I thank you!

Re: Introductions

Sensei Tim
Late check in...

Tim from Calgary, Canada.

Been playing guitar for longer than I care to admit and tinkering almost as long.

Physicist by training. I don't limit tinkering to pedals. Cars are another (expensive) hobby. I'm into mountain biking, mountains/nature, jiu jitsu, cooking, guitar, and a whole bunch of things that I can't remember right now :)

D$

Re: Introductions

D$
What up dudes! I have been making a few posts on here lately so I figured I better introduce myself. My name is David but most people call me Dave. I am from Bryant, Arkansas (USA). I am a self-employed painter. I have played bass in a number of bands through the years. I started building pedals about 3 or 4 years ago when I was looking at pedals for my bass and realized I could build my own. Since then I have built a number of pedals for friends and fellow musicians. I really enjoy the whole process of making pedals from start to finish. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site!

Re: Introductions

Pavlos
Hi, I'm Paul, born and bred in northern Lincolnshire in the UK, apart from a few years in the air force I've mostly worked in logistics and plant hire, play guitar, bass and anything else that catches my whims (With extremely varied degrees of success) and stumbled upon this site when looking for info on modifying guitar circuits, got rather intrigued by the possibility of building my own pedals for not a lot of money, and though why not, some of the boosters and fuzzes look quite simple....and the rest is a question of scale......but how the hell do they work.........oops here comes the learning curve ;o) Thanks to Mark, Miro and everyone else for a great site, I'm enjoying making my head hurt trying to figure it all out, and look forward to hopefully one day contributing something worthwhile :o)

Re: Introductions

analog_memories
Hi, I'm Charles.  I have been lurking for about a year now on this site, and just started to post here.  By day, I am an IT infrastructure engineer and part time bass/guitar.  I just started building pedals, starting with a Ge emulating Fuzz Face clone for a friend.

Re: Introductions

PMowdes
I'm Phil

I live in Bristol, UK.  I work in the pharma industry by day and am a keen home brewer.  I have recently run out of things to build for my mini brewery so i thought i'd have a go at building some pedals.  Have to admit i know very little about electronics but i'm fairly handy with wiring and a soldering iron (my old man is a sparky).

Seems like a cool little community you have here.

Re: Introductions

jorjor
Greetings to all! Ken from NJ. Just registered and gotta say, this is a great site. I'm 58 and used to build music devices in the 90's. I'm not a pro, do it for fun. Back then, building stompboxes and such was a nightmare! Picture...no internet,stacks of parts catalogs(Jameco,Mouser,Digikey etc..most with a $20-$30 min order),stacks of semi-conductor cross reference books(useless half the time),prices sky high and depending on local Radio Shacks for parts. Back then I was into analog synth building. I was not very successful with many builds. I did build the Paia Fatman kit and aside from how it looked inside, it sounded great. I resurrected my interest in guitar playing(started at 17) and just stumbled onto this site recently. Im about ready to build the Sabbra and DynaComp pedals as I just received the parts from Tayda. Since I don't gig,I decided to put them in the cheapest enclosure I could find which are aluminum cans from Dollar Tree. They're cookie cans about 7-8" in dia and should provide good shielding and space to work. At $1 each you cant beat it. Gitchy, yeah and you can't really stomp on them so I'll be using stereo jacks to turn them on and off. I'll prob post some pics when I'm done. Sound and tone is what matters most to me. Right now, I'm trying to put a poor-mans Iommi rig together. Epi cherry SG with Mean 90 in the bridge pos., Crate 40watt with 2 Celestians and reverb tank. Back in the 70s my first and greatest guitar was a cherry red 63 Gibson Sg with the Bigsby tailpiece( I sold it for rent money! Yeah, I know! I still cry myself to sleep at nights over that one!) I also do some luthier and guitar repair work as a hobby. Like electronics, I know enough to be dangerous, as they say. Anyway, kudos to all who are responsible for putting this site together. You guys are absolutely outstanding!

Re: Introductions

David_Maas
Hi guys and girls,

I'm a 23 year old, Dutch hobby musician, living in Berlin, with some spare time on my hands, so I thought I'd try a new hobby :)

This is my first post here and I was introduced to home pedal building and the concept of veroboard by this week's PGS Tone Report Magazine issue (n. 115). In that issue, they mapped out an old SRS EQ Exciter fuzz, which is apparently a thing of legend: see the issue. I liked the sound clip on the last page and it seemed to me to be a relatively easy build. I have past experience with soldering, swapping out pickups etc. so I feel relatively comfortable doing this.

One question though: in the attached layout, could I swap the position of the ground lead and the gain 1 lead, so that I have all pot leads on the right of the board and all jack and power leads on the left? There are no cuts on the line, which suggests to me that it might be possible, or will I disrupt the signal flow if I do this?

All credit goes to Nicholas Kula and I mean no copyright infringement whatsoever (seems ironical, considering they copied the circuit from the pedal..). As for transistors, here he lists the originals, he used 2N2222A's.

Anyway, I think I will like it here :)
Cheers,
David

Re: Introductions

Beaker
I've built one using another layout posted by Anders - there is already a short thread on this pedal. Yes it looks like you can swap the wires around on your layout.

Type SRS into the search bar above to find it.

Re: Introductions

David_Maas

Cheers! Thanks for the quick reply! I will check the other thread out!

Verstuurd door Outlook voor Android

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 2:46 PM -0800, "Beaker [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've built one using another layout posted by Anders - there is already a short thread on this pedal. Yes it looks like you can swap the wires around on your layout.

Type SRS into the search bar above to find it.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Introductions-tp20p28320.html
To unsubscribe from Introductions, click here.
NAML

Re: Introductions

zoof
Hi guys!
Henrik from Sundsvall, Sweden. 37yo.
I've been thinking about trying to build a pedal or two for years. Found this site 6 months ago and already lost count of how many circuits I've tried. Can't thank you guys enough for making it possible for someone like me to build pedals on stripboard.

Other than my new hobby, I've played music (Bass, lap steel, dobro and some guitar) basically all of my life and got lucky to tour quite a bit and making records and stuff. From when I quit school it's only now that I really dont play that much. Guess I have more time trying to learn more of this then :)

Re: Introductions

Kaladann
Hello DIY friends !

My name is Damian, 33 years old, and I love melting solder
Sorry about my english, I'm french ;)

I read this wonderfull blog from about three month now.
I built the 8-Bit Crusher, The compact Fuzz Factory and the TS9 with clipping choice, all are so nice !

Big up to all the contributors !

Now I plan to build the Reverberation Machine, NB-10 Noise Buster and Sonic Reducer Bitcrusher :)

Bye, and keep the iron heat !

Damian

Edit
Just forget : how to select the right profile to commenting the blog ?
Thank !
/Edit

Re: Introductions

hey damian, welcome. you can just use you're google account on the blog. it should give you the option under where you write you're reply.

Re: Introductions

Kaladann
Thank you :)

I've tried with Google, but don't seems to work, so I create a blogger one ^^
Et voilà, I can post with my nick !

Greetingz !

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/10/death-by-audio-reverberation-machine.html?showComment=1477852132547#c3669614338511562512

Re: Introductions

Feral Feline
Lei Hao Ma from Hong Kong

Canadian Expat, have lurked a lonnng time here, been wanting to build pedals for well-more than a decade and finally got into it earlier in 2016 starting out on PCBs. This December, I tried the simplest of circuits on Vero and have to debug it.  Heading in to 2017, I'm hoping to improve my connections off board and build a lot more Vero.

I like to play my doublebass through my pedalboard, but as you might imagine there aren't many bands calling for that sort of thing — so now I'm trying to learn the slab-e-bass, too. Obviously I'm interested in circuits that pair well with bass, but I'm also a utility junkie — hope to see more of both on here, but there are already a plethora of circuits to explore! For that, I give many thanks.

Back to the shadows now, lurking over here from TalkBass.

Cheers,
Feral Feline

Re: Introductions

ludobag
Hi All
I am Ludo
i live in france and i am long time lurker of the site ,
best
Ludo
123456