Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
This post was updated on .
Another great project by David Rolo from Madbean's forum:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18859.0
With an insane number of cuts and links it should fit in a 1590BBM or 1590BBT style box.
One of the most difficult layouts I've ever drawn!
Not verified but I think it should match the schematic.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

You've gotta be kidding me

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

That is...INSANE!

Alex, you are a genius.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

tabbycat
This post was updated on .
you get less for murder.

a monsterous build. you are a brave man, alex.

the most annoying thing is that this pedal sounds stunning. i'm all for massive layouts for pedals i have absolutely no interest in. but when i see one for something i want, that's annoying.

more cuts than a tory government. sheer provocation...

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
This post was updated on .
It does look insane!
Just looking at the number of links i feel a bit of nausea (don't know why but i find links annoying).
Having already done a layout for the Twin Peaks I thought this had to be done.
From the video, the pedal really sounds amazing!
I've double checked the schematic twice (a huge task by itself!) and I'm quite sure it should be ok but considering the size (number of links, cuts, components, etc...) any help would be appreciated.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Sergio
Alex, you seem to be the fearless vero designer! Without being disrespectful to all other members here. But it seems you don't get impressed by facing a schematic with a printed A2 size... So, I'd like to know would you take requests? I was taking a look at the bad stone, having listened to some demos, sounds to me like a great phaser, what do you think about? Doable?

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Frank_NH
There are some good threads at FSB on the EHX Bad Stone, and I would be totally up for building this!  If a vero is made, please use the CD4049UBE in place of the 4009 as I have a boatload of those chips (and the FSB thread claims that this substitution works fine)!

I have a vintage Small Stone phaser and it sounds very much like the online demos of the Bad Stone but doesn't go as deep.  Also, I just saw a demo of the Bad Stone's manual mode, and it's like getting the Dunlop Q-Zone along with your phaser (i.e. you can get the cocked wah sound without the phasing effect).  I could see making the the auto/manual switch a 3PDT so you could switch between modes on the fly!

So if Alex has some spare time...

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
Need to find the time.
I would probably use TL074s in place of 4558s to reduce the size.
Do you have a schematic of the manual mode?

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Frank_NH
Hi Alex - if you look at the above schematic, SW2 switches the modes.  It looks like the manual mode bypasses the LFO so you just get the tone shaping part of the circuit.  The "Manual/Shift" pot controls the peak frequency.  If you listen to some online demos, the Manual mode is quite cool!

This will take two TL074s, one CD4049UBE, and one LM324.  So, it will need a big box but it'll be worth it!

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
Thanks Frank! I must be getting old!

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
Would you use a CD4049UBE instead of a CD4009 without connecting PIN 16? Correct?

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Frank_NH
If you look at the data sheets, the main difference is that source voltage is pin 1 on the 4049 (versus 16 on the 4009).  There is a Vcc (pin 1) on 4009 which appears to be connected to pin 3 - I would just leave that off as it's not needed on the 4049.  In any case, note that the inputs to the inverters are the same - namely, the voltage downstream of the 10K resistor.

http://ee.fudan.edu.cn/~qylu/ic/cmos40/pdf/4009-ti.pdf
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/CD/CD4049UBC.pdf

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Sergio
Having a look at 4049 datasheet i saw that pins 16 and 13 were shown as NC Not connected, i suppose

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Frank_NH
Yes both are unconnected on the 4049.  The pin 1 on the 4009 is unnecessary.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

iggy
Holy crap. Alex you're a madman. My head hurts just looking at this.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

On the datasheet I linked to, Vcc = Vdd = source voltage for the 4049UBE.  Just connect the voltage downstream of R25 to pin 1 and you're good.  I'll make sure to check all this out when I build it.  BTW - I may need to get some more vero as my current stash has only 20 rows/strips.  I may have some bigger hunks somewhere...grrr.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/prototyping-boards/big-stripboard-110x93mm-copper.html

maybe something like this?-D 30x 41 or 34 x 45 if you use your imagination Think Im going to ask some of these too, now they have the discount, so..here we go!

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Alex
Started drawing it and realized there's no way it would feet in a regular 1590BB box.
Maybe 1590BBM or 1590BBT.
I know some people hate them but I think the best way to go would be standing resistors.

Re: Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser

Frank_NH
What are the layout dimensions right now?  Actually, I don't mind standing resistors.  In fact, they are easier to install than most capacitors, so feel free to use them if it means a more compact layout.

I would shoot for a 1590BB enclosure with the longer side being the front/back of the unit, and perhaps something like 30 - 40 columns by 20+ strips.  Good luck!
12