TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
Hey guys.

I'm building a dual overdrive in a 1590BB.

On one side I'm doing a screamer and I'm not sure which to put on the other. There are a few options, but I'm not sure which would compliment it best.

I originally wanted to do a Klon, because a Klon going into a TS sounds awesome, but I don't think I'll fit them in the box. I have a couple of boards already populated and I reckon it'll be too tight.

Any suggestions? This one won't have an order switcher, so perhaps a suggestion as to the order would be good too.

Perhaps something a bit more transparent to be the ying to the tubescreamers mid-hump yang?

Re: TS808 & ?????

Silver Blues
Huh there's a lot you could do. What about a Timmy?

Re: TS808 & ?????

Re: TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
These were both considerations.

Do they stack well with a TS808 or do you guys just see them as something to use separately to make the pedal more flexible?

I don't have the right opamp for a Zen, but I do fancy it. Any suggestions for a replacement? I have rc4558, rc4559, tl072, ne5532 and a couple of random ones... I guess I could just try them all, but it would be nice to know if you guys have tried any of these. I would imagine someone definitely would have tried the 4558.....

EDIT: Actually, I don't have the right diodes either, but I have PLENTY to try....

Re: TS808 & ?????

Chris60601
I think that an overall good choice is either the Timmy or the Zen.
On the other hand, I love the Dyna Red but if I were to use the TS/Red combo - I wouldn't use my Strat
because to me, the Dyna Red works better with Hum-buggies. So that combo would work well with my V or Les Paul (GFS model).

So the point to my reply; you may want to consider your guitar pickups as part of the determination process.  But you probably knew that already.

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Right now the Klon into a tube screamer is my overdrive sound.  It's without a doubt the best combination I've heard, and very versatile.  Quite Marshall-like in tone.

I do have a Timmy-like circuit (Walrus Mayflower on vero, unboxed) that I could try with my tube screamer - if I have a chance I'll check it out this weekend.

Re: TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
Cool, thanks guys.

The main concerns are basically;

1. Will it fit in the box? (Klon does not)
2. Will it stack well?
3. Which order should they go in?

I've heard that a screamer goes well into an OCD, but I've never really liked the OCD too much. I guess it's good, but it's had a little too much hype I think.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Re: TS808 & ?????

Vince
The menatone red snapper or Blue Collar sound excellent boosted. I'd go for the Blue Collar as it's lower gain so better for taking a pre-boost. Plus, the Red and Blue sound excellent on their own. Very underrated effects in my opinion.

As for the 'right' Opamp for the Zen, The original uses an NE5532. I have a Lovepedal Zen and that is what's in it. I personally don't believe the spec was changed from Hermida, why would it?..plus the difference is barely noticeable.

Also, the diodes in the Zen, In mine I used all 1N34a's they sound VERY slightly warmer/tube-ish blah blah..but again, very little difference.

Re: TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
yeah, I've always fancied a red snapper.

Might just have to give that one a go. The TS is already boxed up now, so I can try a few things with it before something joins it in there.

Anyone reckon I'll need a low value resistor on the power for noise? I've heard this can be an issue in these 2-in-1 jobs.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Vince
I've never used any power filtering for two in ones and I've only ever had excessive noise once and that was with two meatheads but I think that was down to a dodgy connection.

I made a blue collar into a red snapper 2in1 once and it was one the best dual pedals I've ever made. The blue collar is fantastic.

Re: TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
Nice. Cheers for the heads-up.

I'm finding it pretty difficult to fit more than one circuit in here - at least if it's something with 3 or 4 pots. I think maybe the order in which I wire everything in is a bit off or perhaps I've put the jacks in the wrong place or something. I might have to get on your Dopefx Facebook page and have a look at a couple of your gutshots, mate!

Re: TS808 & ?????

Heath
Me and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden like a Tube Screamer into a Tube Screamer. :D  Double the pleasure, double the fun.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Frank_NH

Here you go...two tube screamers!

Re: TS808 & ?????

Heath

Re: TS808 & ?????

Chris60601
LOL! Outstanding!
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: TS808 & ?????

By the way, Harold Sabro talks about wiring up two circuits in one box at this link:

effects wiring

Re: TS808 & ?????

inefficiency
I did consider doing a double screamer. I might do a screamer and an eternity or eternity burst.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Beaker
Stevie Ray Vaughn used two Tube Screamers, hence the name of that Visual Sound Double Trouble.

He used a TS 808 and a TS 9, though I don't know which order he had them.

I have to say though that our Germanium Giant works great with a Tube Screamer, and it's tiny so no problems getting it to fit. Plus you can use your new D311s in it 'cos they sound great in one.

Re: TS808 & ?????

Surgeon
I've housed a TS808 with a SHO in front of it.

Honestly, it's the perfect combo IMHO.
1234