What are your weekend projects?

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Kinski
This post was updated on .
Just heard about this project. Now I'm really considering building one.

Marshall in a box. With tubes! Powered on 9v, using a charge pump to get 190v! Thats right, 190v! There are a few variations. I think I'd build the JTM45 version.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28586266/GCFX%20Build%20Docs/STM800BuildDoc.pdf

$40 for the 3 PCBs (also includes all of the components needed except tubes and pots).

There are a few youtube vids of this thing.

I need another tube project. I already built an amazing 5E3 last summer.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

motterpaul
Funny - I was just looking at amp projects myself. I would like to build a 2203 or 2204 (JCM 800) - but I want the full amp with Output section. I'm just wondering what the best kit is: Metroamps, Ceriatone, etc...

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Kinski
Yeah, lots of options out there these days for amp kits. I ended up using multiple places for my amp.

Turret board and components from Mojotone. Chassis was custom made by a guy online. Tubes from TubeDepot. And transformers direct from ClassicTone. I got a raw unfinished solid pine cabinet from Weber which i finished myself with just a few coats of shellac. And pinned my own speaker grill.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

motterpaul
Nice - So you would recommend MojoTone?  I saw a 2204 (built) for sale locally, its a good deal.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/5049987857.html

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Kinski
I can only speak for their components and turret boards. But they were all great. Delivered exactly what I was expecting. I preferred to use my own choice of tubes, transformers, cabinet, speaker, etc.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

motterpaul
I agree - I do like JJ tubes but I already own dozens of different kinds of tubes. I don't know if Classic Tone transformers are good. I hear Hammond or Mercury are the best.

As for cabs & speakers, I have TOO many already from G12-65, 70, 75, to EVM12L and Gold Alnico. If I bought a kit, it would be just the basic components and the drilled chassis, of course.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Kinski
ClassicTone transformers have a fantastic reputation for quality and sound. Plenty of talk of them on various forums. Of course Mercury and Hammond are also very well known. There are sound comparisons as well between all 3. I don't remember where but they are out there. ClassicTone were my personal favorite by far back when I was putting this amp together.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

motterpaul
Cool - I am pretty sure the MojoTone kits come with ClassicTone (as the only transformer option) - everything else that is optional (tubes, etc) I already have.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Kinski
Ok cool. That was not the case at the time when I made mine.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Ciaran Haslett
What a week!  Just some cable tidying and powering up the CDJs but I'm happy to say this place is operational!  The Prophet 12 is a beast of a machine!  Routing guitars through all the synth filters is some craic too!

List of synths...
Dave Instruments Prophet 12
Dave Instruments Tempest
Moog Minimoog Voyager
Moog Sub Phatty
Korg Kronos
Korg microKORG 2
Arp Odyssey
Roland T8
Roland TB3
Roland VT

...all controlled by Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Synsound
Holy hell, that looks amazing.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Re: What are your weekend projects?

strassercaster
I have been very productive this weekend. Thursday night I did a Klon Centaur board and drilled the box. Friday night I did a phase 45 board. Laswt night i did a mxr board and a red rooster board drilled and painted the enclosure s all four today. I have 4 pedals waiting for the paint too dry. I prefer doing the board over boxing them ha ha.I spent almost 10 hours this weekend on pedals and I am taking a break for a few days. I will  probably box the phase 45 first since I have never had one. the others I have made a few of already and sold them.my project next weekend will be the phase 90 vero and a dirtbaby that I bought a pcb for.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

negativefx
I built a Mojo Bedroom Amp Kit and a 50w Bass Head.

They sent me an unfinished chassis for the MBA which led to some significant confusion on my part for a day, then they corrected it.

Afterwards, everything went great.  Solid products and would highly recommend.

I'm curious as to how they compare to ceriatone because I'm definitely tempted to pick up one of their Dizzy 30 kits.

I should note that the cabinets for the bedroom amp and head weren't exactly top quality fitment on the inside but they looked nice from the outside.  Had to do some filing/dremel to get the amp to fit properly in the cab.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

eldredracing

I built the Tube Depot JTM45+.  I build the head and speaker cabinet myself.  Decently easy build and sounds great.   The best documentation available for a first build.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

Re: What are your weekend projects?

negativefx
Wow, definitely a purdy cab on that badboy.  Nice job.  Baltic Birch?  If so, what kinds of pre-cond, stain/dye, and finish did you use?  I did a pair of BB bass cabinets and went thru hell getting it to dye properly.  I think the wood was damn near an 1/8" thinner when I finally stopped sanding and refinishing.  :)

I used charles neil pre-cond and transtint red & black.  And 12 spray coats of helmsman poly.  I definitely didn't get the shine you did, but I only went to 600... yours looks like 2k or higher!

Re: What are your weekend projects?

motterpaul
Yeah - super nice. Are those EL-34s and a tube rectifier? Tube Depot is definitely another contender - good company. I see you also went with a ClassicTone transformer.

I am thinking I want the Master Volume amp, tho I would build them all if I had the time & space.

Re: What are your weekend projects?

You guys are killing me with these amp builds! Nice work guys

Re: What are your weekend projects?

eldredracing
The JTM45+ has both the tube and SS rectifier but there's not a ton of difference between the two.  It uses EL34 tubes and a GZ34 rectifier.  I did add a PPIMV master volume that is on the back of the hea to keep the wife happy.  I think my favorite part is the 3 way voicing switch on the back panel that switches between Bassman, 1987 model, and JTM voicings.  Very cool.
1234567