Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
Hello everyone, I a newbie here at this board and a rookie builder. In fact, I just got started on my first build which is the Bearfoot Arctic White Fuzz Pedal. I've got my board soldered, but I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out the correct way to wire this thing up to my LED, Switch, DC Jack, and input/output.

I know it has to be simple, but I've seen so many different diagrams online on how to wire up an enclosure that I've lowered my confidence in understanding what is right for this pedal. I know it's just a rookie thing and I will eventually learn all the correct ways to build.

I would just like some advice and help on how to finish the build so I can hear it and make sure everything is working correctly. Any suggestions?

I've included pics of my board and enclosure. BTW - I ordered this from Mklec.

Re: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

Hi Rich

Which pot is which in that reverse image?  If you let me know I'll number up the wires and the connections to the pots

Re: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

Hey man, first off welcome. Now, onto the switch, led, and jack wiring, which we call offboard wiring. You are correct that there are numerous ways to do this wiring, but I suggest the the way on the main site under the offboard tab. It's never let me down, and what's nice is it also ensures everything is always grounded.

Remember that pretty much every pedal will have the same offboard wiring if you're using a 3pdt switch for true bypass.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
From the enclosure image.....right pot would be volume, left tone, center fuzz.

Re: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

This is where we're at so far.  You should be able to work out the pot numbering by the pot pic in the top left, but will complete it if you need it and let me know which pot is which

Hope I haven't made it more confusing with two sets of numbers but I thought it was important to show you the lug numbering on the stomp.

The red numbering on the board just refers to the 1-7 table shown at the top.

The yellow numbering just shows the numbering convention for the stomp switch.  Stomp 5 (circuit input) goes to Fuzz 3, Volume 2 goes to Stomp 7 (circuit output).

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

I think this covers it

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
Excellent.....Thank you so much for this detailed diagram. I will try it this afternoon and update you on the progress. I do have one question. The Wiring diagram from rocket88 shows a dc jack with only two wire hookups suggesting its a two prong hookup, but mine has three. Does it make any difference if I don't use the 3rd prong? just curious.

Thanks so much for the diagram.......this will help a lot.

Re: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
Rocket88,

Could you tell me how the input and output wire works with my board?

Re: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

motterpaul
This post was updated on .
A couple of things - that wiring diagram is perfect, but I always had a hard time seeing which side of the LED went to the resistor. The  resistor goes to the positive (rounded) side of the LED and then to positive +9 voltage, the flat side of the LED connects to the footswitch.

For in & out... the board out comes from that pot (upper right) to lug 7 on the footswitch, so lug 8 goes to the out of the "amp" jack (tip). Input jack (tip) goes to the link that connects 9 to 4. It's in the wiring diagram above.

Link the grounds of the input and output jacks together AND make sure one end is connected to the rest of the ground. Everything that needs to be grounded needs to be connected together.

Footswitch

1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

Regarding your question about the DC jack..

The third lug on the DC jack is a switching lug that you only wire up if you're using a battery and DC jack. It disconnects the battery when you plug in a power supply

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

Chris60601
Or... The longer leg of the led is + while the short leg is -
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

hey falcon, travis already touched on it, but i figured i would try to give a little more info on it and inclue a visual.

when you look at the DC jack you have 2 positive (leads that stick straight out) and 1 negative/ground (bent "L" shaped lead). the top most goes to the board and has a wire that goes the the positive leg of the LED through a resistor, the positive lead that is on the right is if you want to include a battery.

when i install my DC jacks if you're looking at the leads, i put the positive that goes to the board on top, negative/ground pointing to the left. pretty much

also the flat side of the LED is negative and rounded side is positive.

and more importantly, for a first build that's a great looking board. keep up the good work, i hope we see more of you.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
This is great....Thank you so much for explaining this to me. This is extremely helpful.

You guys have been extremely helpful...Thank you.....I'm starting to see everything coming together and it makes perfect sense.....I'm sure I will have a few questions along the way but these explanations have helped me so much.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
I just thought of one more question. Can I solder a wire on the end of the LED end that is suppose to go to the switch? My LED is on the top of my enclosure and nowhere near the switch which would make it impossible to solder directly to the switch itself. I figured I could run a wire from the LED to the switch and it would work the same.

Any thoughts?

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

motterpaul
Rocket... and all

I can't tell you how much that "third leg" of the DC jack screwed me up at first. I started at this site as a full-on newbie, and knew nothing about how the parts were made so everything required research.

One time I was wiring a DC jack and I had forgotten which leg was "positive" so I used a meter to test continuity and both legs 2 & 3 tested good (because I didn't have a jack plugged in). So I wired positive up to the wrong one.

But the trick is that if you put in a plug it turns OFF lug #3, (which is why it is used to "disconnect" the battery; and I had read that, but forgotten it. The best explanation of all that was on the Beavis site, by the way, which is now gone, unfortunately).

The problem is that if you have forgotten how that works, what you see happening doesn't make any sense to you. That is why this hobby can be very frustrating for newbies at first. There are tons of little things to remember when you start doing this, but it all makes sense eventually.

and YES, you can wire added wire to the legs of an LED.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
Yes, I can definitely agree that being a newbie at this can be very frustrating because you are trying to build something that seems simple, but there are so many variables and little things that can bite you while you are building. I've been wanting to start building my own pedals for about a year now, but just recently decided to dive in. So I bought 2 kits to start off with. Well, I learned my first lesson the hard way this week and realized I had soldered my board backwards....it it took me 3-4 hours to get the first one right....(I thought)..lol...after close examination, I began building a new board with the components from the first board and it took me a little over an hour to remove the old and build the new one.

When you aren't sure and there are no black and white instructions, it can be a huge learning curve.
I am so thankful for websites like this one where you can get the answers you need to help you along the way and eventually help you become a better builder so you can in return help others who are just starting out.

Thank you all for you support and help!!!

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falcon, without a doubt you can add a wire to the negative side of the LED. always make sure you use something to cover the exposed part of the LED legs to prevent it from grounding on the enclosure. i suggest some sort of heat shrink tubing cause it will look a million times neater then anything else, IMHO.

take a look at the "Pedal Guts" thread on the top of the open chat and you'll see what i mean.

you've got the right attitude man, and i mean that you are coming into this with open mind and ears, wanting to learn. we all had to start somewhere, and most of the guys, myself included, started with little to no electronics knowledge and have done a lot of learning over time. we are a unique bunch here, and really work hard to help each other as much as possible. so, don't ever be afraid to ask anything. you'll always get an answer and/or be directed to where you can get the information you should know to help you understand the answer to the problem.

RE: Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz

falconfan
I appreciate that very much....ok....so tonight I wired everything up...but had one hiccup....the wire coming out of my board that is suppose to connect to the LED....not sure where this needs to connect because if I go by the wiring diagram that you posted....it shows the LED just connected to the switch and DC jack

I don't know if I did this right....

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Wiring-for-Arctic-White-Fuzz-tp22811p22835.html
To unsubscribe from Wiring for Arctic White Fuzz, click here.
NAML
1234