BARGAINS!

1 ... 6789101112 ... 17

Re: BARGAINS!

Awesome deal.  I see some tagboard builds in your future

Re: BARGAINS!

inefficiency
Tagboard is a very cool idea. I've never used it before. Same concept as turret-boards, right?

Seems fairly straight foward. Any builds you would recommend for tagboard ultra-mojo?

Re: BARGAINS!

I actually went off using tagboard quite a bit because it's a pain in the arse having to bend the components out of shape to get the leads through the tags, they never seemed to look straight again after that, so I changed my method of doing that kind of build.  Now I much prefer doing it with lengths of walnut I buy from furniture restorers on eBay, cut it to the required length and drill out the top and bottom of the board to match the layout, and then use eyelets in the holes.  Then to put in a resistor for instance all you have to do it bend both leads to the required space at 90 degree angles and they slip straight into the holes.  Populate the board and then you can use the oldest thickest soldering iron you've got to fill the holes and all the leads in them with solder.  I think the results look really good and it's so cheap to do, much cheaper than buying the tagboards.  I paid about £15 for 10 lengths of walnut which I could easily make 100 boards with, and you can get the eyelets in packs of 1000 for cheap (you need extra long ones for the wood I got, the most common size on eBay aren't long enough to go all the way through the wood).

There's plenty of tagboard/turret/eyelet layouts on here (although not quite as many as the vero layouts now), so it depends what you want.  A classic Fuzz Face or Rangemaster maybe, or if that's too boring there's a mojo Gainster or go mad and do the TS808HW

Re: BARGAINS!

inefficiency
Ah, cool, thanks.

My father is a joiner and I share a workshop with a luthier friend, so I've got plenty of access to various timber. That's also what made it easy for me to get enclosures drilled before having the proper gear. This method might be pretty good for me then.

I reckon I'd be happy doing a Fuzz Face or Rangemaster. Sure they're simple builds, but they fit the bill. Can't knock the classics. Aren't the old original Fuzz Face circuits on tagboard anyway?

Plus, you know what people are like for "point to point" wiring. I think half of them don't know what it means, but it's nice being able to tell people that it is anyway!

Re: BARGAINS!

Nice one, you' ll have lots of fancy wood available to you then, and you can get fantastic looking builds using those kind of materials.

As an aside, which of our US brothers will get me something from eBay and ship it to me here in the UK with me paying the costs of course?  I've found something I want but he doesn't offer international shipping

Re: BARGAINS!

Re: BARGAINS!

Cool thanks matey.  I want a pack of these but he doesn't have an option for postage to the UK and he hasn't answered my message.  I've bought from him in the past too but he's obviously stopped shipping out of the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321406051842

If you let me know what the total will be I'll make a payment to you

Top man!

Re: BARGAINS!

will do, send me an email with you're address so i get get an exact number for shipping for you. but man, that is a hell of a deal.

Re: BARGAINS!

Yes it is.  I wanted some 47p and was going to get some of those from the Chinese sellers, but these are cheaper and they look better to me as well.

Cheers I'll send you an email

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

AC_FX
This, or a tool like it, is a bargain if you like your builds to be neater-looking and less tedious:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1563
This has been a public service announcement.
That is all.

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

Re: BARGAINS!

inefficiency
Can anyone point me in the direction of some eyelets for making tagboard?

Got a strip of rosewood here that could make a sexy little project.

Re: BARGAINS!

inefficiency

Re: BARGAINS!

If I wanted something "like" a 2n3819, then I'd go for the 2N3820 every time.  The 3820 may not be precisely in the datasheet limits of the 3829, but they'll be close and a lot of the other characteristics may be identical.  What is it for?
For the eyelets I bought them from eBay initially, but then got a load from http://www.eyelets.co.uk but their website looks very different and I can't find the part number of the ones I got.  I'll search through old emails and see if I can find the conversation I had with them.

Re: BARGAINS!

Actually just looked through this page
http://www.eyelets.co.uk/products/brass-eyelets/
And I'm pretty sure they're the ME4060's.  I think their minimum order was 1000 but I'm happy to stock up too if you want to split the order to whatever quantity you want and I'll have the rest.

Re: BARGAINS!

inefficiency
The JFET is for a FDecks HPF. Built from John's layout here; http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Fdeck-s-HPF-Pre-tp9995p10031.html

I have some double bass gigs coming up, so I need to get it sorted soon.

I actually have one 2n3819 kicking about, but I need another . I wonder if they would both need to be the same or if I could use one of each. Although to be fair, I like to always buy everything in bulk these days, so it doesn't really matter if the new one does or not because I'll probably have a bunch of them to just use 2 of the same.

How much is it for 1000 eyelets? I've got a lot of stuff I need to purchase first, so it might be a 2 or 3 weeks, but I'd be up for splitting them. I don't need 1000 of them seeing as I'll most likely just do a handful of builds with them.

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

iggy
AC have you tried the lead bender from Smallbear? What is the smallest it is designed to bend a 1/4 watt resistor? I bought a set like that from Ebay. but the smallest it will bend is 5 holes on a vero board. and so many layouts use 4 holes. But they do make very nice looking bends.

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

If you bend the resistor leads right next to the body it will slide straight into a 4 hole span.

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

iggy
thanks Mark.  Been trying to find a nice tool to make the 4 hole bend nice & clean. I really do like using the bender tool. Best looking boards I've ever made.

Re: BARGAINS! (wire bending jig)

Beaker
Brother P touch 1230PC label printer.

http://www.labelzone.co.uk/brother-pt-1230-pc-linked-label-printer/p502

Got mine today, and it's awesome - so simple to use.

1 ... 6789101112 ... 17