BARGAINS!

1 ... 3456789 ... 17

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
Has any of you tried those knobs ?
Aluminum Hi-Fi CD VOLUME TONE CONTROL KNOB
They look good, small (Ø13mm, ideal for 1590A) an cheap ($0.24 per 50)
They also have them in black and silver

Re: BARGAINS!

Dave
The problem with those knobs is that in anything but perfect like they are very hard to make out the settings on. Still a decent price though.
Thanks
Dave

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
Sorry I don't get it, what do you mean by  very hard to make out the settings on ?
They have no screw so will need split shaft pots, they should be nice with Tayda's pots

Re: BARGAINS!

GoranP
I got 10 of those a few weeks back, in silver.

Yes, they fit Tayda's split shafts great, no screw but they won't be coming off with normal use.
Dave also has a good point, the little position line on top is pretty much invisible when the pedal is on the floor, even if you have 20/20 vision. I've gone over them with a black sharpie but now it looks crappy. Won't work on black ones either.

I'm used to Davies 1510s so these seem flimsy to me but they do work fine when you are pressed for space.

However, they feel like plastic. I haven't examined them up close but they feel nothing like aluminum. They are indeed plastic on the inside (the part that fits against the pot shaft) and only the outside shell may be aluminum but I'm not entirely convinced (again, have none left to confirm but I think Geiri (and Dave?) had some at some point and can elaborate).

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
Thanks for your feedback Goran.
Yes, at that price I'm sure they are 100% plastic, or kind of anodized plastic. You get what you pay for
Still I'll give them a try, not much risk considering the price

Re: BARGAINS!

GoranP
Very true. They are quite useful and fit Tayda's pots well for not a lot of money. Money well spent for non-crucial applications, certainly much better than flimsy Davies 1900H that Tayda sells. Pretty much the same size but the screw thread on those 1900s strips in a New York Minute...

Re: BARGAINS!

Beaker
I have a bunch of these in silver, and black - not seen the gold ones before. Take it someone who has spent his entire working life machining aluminium, that they ARE machined and anodised aluminium shells, with a plastic insert. The reason they feels plasticky is due to the thin walls.

I use black nail varnish in the top face position indicator groove to aid visibility on the silver ones, works fine.

A couple of the black ones I have are a bit "patchy" coloured where the anodising is less than ideal, however for the price of these things I'm not complaining. For a tightly crowded pedal, they ideal, and cheap!

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
Sounds great
Just ordered 20 of each (silver, gold & black)
Thanks guys

Re: BARGAINS!

Forgot to say that I use a drop of silver nail varnish to mark the black ones too.

Re: BARGAINS!

JaviCAP
Just to illustrate the use of ceramic multilayer caps in a   gainy pedal like the Musket Fuzz:

There are if I'm not wrong 13 ceramic multilayer and 3 ceramic disk caps. The pedal is all the silent that a Big Muff can be, and no way noisier than my other Big Muffs built with polyboxes or greenies.

The tone is superb and verbatim to the original, so use these caps with no concern.

The ceramic disks until 500- 680pf use to give no noise problem. Bigger values are sadly noisy by nature, but even  the orginal Musket uses ceramic disks for these low values and some of the 100nf ones.

BR

Re: BARGAINS!

Very nice build matey

Re: BARGAINS!

JaviCAP
Administrator
Thank you, mate :)

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
Do you know if it's ok to replace electrolytics by multilayer ceramics ?
I just got a batch of 600 hundred in my mail box

Re: BARGAINS!

JaviCAP
Administrator
I would say that in most situations would be possible, but there are certain chances that the eletrolithic is there not just for the value, but for the polarity, so current can only go in a certain direction and avoid unwanted feedback.

So I'd first socket and try or use the recommended cap to avoid problems :)

BR

Re: BARGAINS!

JaviCAP
Administrator
I've purcased 10 pcs of these 1/4 jacks, in order to try more extreme 1590A builds (up to 25x14 veros). I'll let you  know in a month or so if they're of any use, but at least, you have not to pay 10 dollars of s&h like in Small Bear :P

http://www.ebay.es/itm/120873501863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_2192wt_1163

BR

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
I'd be interested to know their sizes Javi

Re: BARGAINS!

JaviCAP
Administrator
Just received the jacks, they're GREAT to insane builds in a 1590A :)

Just take a look compared with an usual open frame mono jack:

Re: BARGAINS!

alltrax74
They look indeed great for 159A projects
I save the link for later, thanks for sharing Javi

Re: BARGAINS!

Geiri
I know this isn't the cheapest but I bought two of these (600m in total) and it's the best wires I've ever tried.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=757
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: BARGAINS!