Darkglass VMT!

Yay

Some of the capacitor values are unknown (being discussed in a thread over on FSB as we speak) so hopefully we'll get that information soon. Like I said over there, this one was a bitch and is very ugly but hopefully it works.

EDIT: Removed inoperable layout so no one sees this and tries it. Potential working one to come.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

awesome. i really hope the values are good/determined soon. cause i just listened to some soundclips and i'm going to have to add this to my every growing list, and will be near the top. its also, not that ugly, i mean there's a lot more complicated layouts floating around.

oh, and i saw that they now have a deluxe version:

seems like all they did was add bass, mids, and trebble tone controls.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

jsetov
I have got to say, I don't think I've been this excited for a build in quite a while! Thanks!

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Chris60601
Crap!!! C25 really goes over IC3??

Cheers
Chris

Note: I have viewed many many layouts here (outstanding job done by all) but I never really knew it was acceptable to put components diagonally. Mind you, I know there are no set rules when it comes to designing the veros but I just kinda always thought that was sort of an unspoken. Personally, (again, I want to stress this as just my own personal observation/opinion) it looks sloppy and unprofessional.
Jumpers yeah sure, but parts? I dunno, it's just me I'm sure. Probably the same thing that drives |v|ark to create layouts with no standing parts
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

gaffled
for that cap over the ic just move the bottom connection of the 1k resistor, cut and out put wire up one row.  than you can have the caps straight up and down, unless im missing something.  mike

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Chris, remember that everyone has their own rules they follow. Like making all the reistors laying down flat, or making things compact, etc. so you jut follow the rule you feel are acceptable. I personally try not to do any diaganol components when I design a layout, even if it make it a little bigger then but that's me. So no worries when you see them.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Yeah I know. Sloppy and unprofessional it indeed is; I hated that with a passion too, but it was extremely difficult to find a place to put that cap - it needs to come from the op-amp to ground. I also needed to make a cross-board flywire ("A") that was less-than-optimal as well. But I mean it's an ENORMOUS circuit for an overdrive, with six individual op-amps, two FETs and an inverter, I had to take what I could get to get it at a reasonable size. My personal goal was to not make it bigger than JohnK's Sloika layout. If you want you can expand the board by two columns and just put it vertical.

Now, I am also working on a PCB layout that incorporates a built-in logic-based relay bypass system (Mictester's, it's somewhere on FSB) using the five unused inverters. Stand by for that if you're interested as well. I felt it was a waste to not use 5/6ths of the IC, so I'm going to

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Chris60601
Yuppers! That's a bigen! Take a look at what gaffled mentioned. I think he's spot on with that.

Cheers
Chris

Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Oh shit he is right, I totally missed that. Hey thanks  I'll fix it tomorrow.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Layout has been fixed.

Also, I realized this morning at like 4 that I'm a complete idiot. I can't incorporate Mictester's switch into the layout, because the switch uses Schmitt Triggers, not inverters (a CD40106).  I'll still do the PCB, but now it won't be as cool. Lol

Re: Darkglass VMT!

negativefx
From a troubleshooting perspective, I can see how diagonal components could cause issues. However, if it's being done to make the layout smaller (ie. fit in a 1590B), I have no issue with it.  The components still flat on the board and still soldered securely on both ends.

Just don't start crossing clipping diodes over each other.  I'll get angry.  :)

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Chris60601
I'll be happy to take a PCB if you care to create more than one

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Ah goddammit! I've spent the last few hours trying to make a good PCB layout - today will be the third time I've scrapped it and begun anew. This time I tried to constrain myself and come up with something professional looking, and it was going so well until I hit the fourth op-amp and hence a brick wall. I'd even gotten Paul's relay bypass system (the one on this site) to fit unobtrusively onto the board... it was beautiful  but now I've run out of room and am not sure what to do... it's the equivalent size of a 21x24 vero right now.

EDIT: Removed inoperable layout.

Instead of using a TL072 and a TL074 like the original, I decided on using 3 TL072s instead - it would allow me to spread things out and perhaps make it all fit better. Why does this thing have to be so big

Re: Darkglass VMT!

cylens
That's great!

Do you think the Caps values will surface some day?

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
I sure hope so. I want to get this one built ASAP. I'm watching the FSB thread so as soon as I know I'll spread the word.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Layout's been updated. I've found a slew of mistakes, the last few posts on FSB have been a little embarrassing for me . This one should be alright now... should be...

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Mark SL
Dude this layout is kind of fucked. Compare your full layout to the cuts and jumpers layout and match all the cuts and traces up and then post it.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
I have updated it a number of times. Perhaps you aren't seeing the most recent one. For what I see the two layouts match.

Again, this is a monster circuit, and I just decided to take a shot at it. It may or may not be entirely correct and I'm not entirely sure how to make it look any neater.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver it looks fine.

Got to love it when people make comments about  layout when I don't see them making a better one. This circuit is rather large and probably would be better suited to an etched pcb for neatness.

MarkSL, don't be a dick and make a comment like that. Be productive not an ass.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
I mean by all means, if anyone has a more efficient layout I'll happily remove myself and give theirs precedence. I've never been as good at layouts as Mark or Miro or Alex, and there's only so big one man can go before losing his sanity

I even tried a PCB layout myself as you can see above and just gave up when I hit the wall.