ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Add like wise from me. Anything you need, just let me know. And goes for anyone, not just dbat.

Javi, awesome to hear they sound good in the BMP, I'm going to have to try them myself, cause I was hoping that they would be a good fit. I'm going to sort the ones I have in stock from before and see if I enter the same results as you with hfe spread. I figure as long as they sound good, the hfe hopefully won't matter that much, since I've noticed that a lot of Si based circuits will sound good with a wide band of hfe.

Side note, I haven't heard from space. So if you are still keeping up with this thread send me an email so I can send you your 100, when I get them in the mail.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

JaviCAP
Administrator
Well, have been playin' with the Meathead and the ME4003.

Just built a new board, and so rewired my priginal Meathead with switchable caps (one my earliest builds), by the way, and it did sound terrific with 2N3904 and BC182-L. I was lucky because i did install the firsdt pair that took of the bag :P

Well, with the ME4003, I've found a great pair: Q1 403hfe, Q2 475hfe, sounds just incredible. For what I see, a 50-100 hfe difference between Q1 and Q2 is the main thing for getting a killer sound wit a great sustain and decay. With a 300hfe Q1 and a 380hfe Q2 did sound quite well too, but less compressed, so take these values in mind when building the Meathead with these trannies.

J.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

dbat69
Zach

Have you got the MEs yet?

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Yep. Thought I emailed you, my bad. I'm sending mikes out today, and spaces as soon as he can send payment. I just started sorting them all and the numbers look similar to javi's results. The biggest chunks are in the 300-399hfe, 200-299hfe is the second, 400-499hfe, 100-199hfe, 500-599hfe, and finally 2 600-699hfe. That's from the first 500 I had, now I have to add the others. Thanks again David.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

dbat69
Wow, you got some over 600   you lucky little rocket

I might have to get some more now - the highest I got were in the 500 to 600 range but they should be good enough, although ... more power

Pleased they got to you safely

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

JaviCAP
Administrator
These are really f*cking great, my new serie of Meatheads is being built using these little demons :P

With a ~300hfe as Q1 and ~380-400hfe in Q2, they're just incredible. Incredible sound and a sustain like a Big Muff, eternal, with a soft decay. 2N3904 + BC-182L is a killer combo, but with two ME4003 is even better!

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

dbat69
THanks Javi - looks like I'll have to add a Meathead to my To Do list as well   It just keeps getting longer

I'm pleased you like them.

If you need more, just let me know

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Yea 2 in the 600 hfe range out of 500 transistors. That is such a low percentage, it's ridiculous. It seems that they are nearly as rare as the 2N5133, so I'm hoping I can get 4 and use them in a shreddy mayo or ram's head muff.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

JaviCAP
Administrator
Zach, trust me, any ME4003 with hfe > 400 will work great in any muff :) And have to try, but I'd bet that with 200-300 hfe would work great too, one ot the things I love of the Big Muff, is that you can nearly use popcorn as capacitors and  wires as resistors, that would sound great anyway. Don't forget that in EHX, they used wahtever they had at hand to build big muffs, so there's abour 40 sun- version of any major v. :)

Thanks David, maybe on next mothh I'll ask you for 200 more :). Vincent received his part on paast week, but have not commented me If he has used / checked'em yet.

J.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Now you got me all excited Javi. I don't know why, aside from its awesome, but the BMP is my favorite fuzz. It's just classic wall of fuzzy goodness, and the green Russian I made, it's just creamy and fuzzy, and all things that's right with fuzz. I might just have to put it on the old breadboard and mess around with values and see what happens, and build some more of them. I guess what I'm saying is I never have enough muffs laying around.

But you're totally right, EHX was just crazy with values, I've seen 2 rams heads before opened them up, and I thank only 2 parts were the same value.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

JaviCAP
Administrator
rocket88 wrote
 I guess what I'm saying is I never have enough muffs laying around.
True! I have 7 BMP: 1 Triangle, 3 Different spec Ram's Head (Violet, '74 and '76 pnp), a IC '78,  a Green Russian and a NYC (the only priginal one :P), and still have to build a Black Russian, a Civil War, and a 1st version Triangle, let's hope that with 10 units, will be enough!

J.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

dbat69
THat is a whole lotta muff, Javi

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Hey as long as the lady in your life doesn't get jealous of a all the muff you got laying around the house, then you're in the clear.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Javi you should try the Supa Tonebender spec as well. Maybe Faustone fuzz unit? The list goes on. You can never win!

I really want some ME4003. Anyone here wanna buy some more with me or trade me? (I have a shiiitload of tropical fish 10n caps for your meatheads and muffs!)

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

travis are you in the US? cause i might be helping dbat out, so maybe we can get some more. i can always use more.

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

dbat69
Well Rocket, seems you managed to get a couple of high values in your batch, so I'm just gonna have to get some more soon

So yes, I will be pleased to assist again, no problem.  Always happy to help my friends on here

Especially if it means we can stop from being ripped off by sellers' excessive postage costs

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

Yeah I'm in California

I'm in for a buy. I'd like about 100 unless they're expensive

Re: ME4003 for DAM Meathead

alex.s
Getting very jealous! I know what I'm buying on pay day...! :)

Anyone else missed out on this and would want to share? I won't be using the whole 100 so am happy to share if anyone is keen. I'm in the UK so it'd be £9.20 for the 100 pieces.