I created the layouts for the clean preamp, chorus, power amp, headphone out and power supply using a Fender Princeton Chorus schematic I found online. Schematic dated 5/25/88.
The only deviations are I lowered the Chorus voltage to 12v due to hum at 15v I couldn't resolve. At 12v, no hum. I also doubled the Mids pot value for more available mids, otherwise everything else is faithful to the schematic.
I modified the Rub a Dub Reveb so I could parallel it after the tonestack like the original. I killed the dry path, lowered the input gain and increased the output resistor.
For the Cardinal Trem, I used 5457s and omitted the bypass caps to keep the gain in check. And I omitted the bright mode.
The Audio in and Headphone pan are a simpler spinoff of the Jamman I posted a few years back.
Hey everyone. First post (although relatively long-time lurker and audio tech-meddler for a while now).
Thought I'd show something a little bit different / cool / silly. This is a double-drive pedal made of a Barber Gain Changer paired with a Barber Direct Drive with an order-flipper switch in the middle. It doesn't really make sense to pair these as they're fairly similar, however I already own and love the 'proper' DD as I generally prefer humbuckers, but also wanted to try the GC. Then I realized that if I over-built the enclosure I could have an either-or-both pedal in one enclosure.
The enclosure is somewhat oversized and made of birch plywood (I mess around in the workshop a fair bit and often build my own enclosures as I have an 'algorithm' and a lot of birch plywood kicking around from other projects). It would be less good for travel but most of my effects are home-studio / bedroom affairs to begin with, so I don't really care.
Gonna inject some life into this thread, lol. Just finished this guy:
It's a modified W&C Phat Phuk with the external Bias pot, but I replaced the JFET input buffer section with a Cornish buffer, and wired it for buffered bypass. I call it the "Bubbly Phuk" (inspired by Taskmaster... 5x06 if anyone wants a laugh). It currently contains a GT2307, which sounded best to me when I was breadboarding the circuit, but I may experiment with transistors later on. One of my neater builds with respect to spaghetti!
Thanks! Sounds nice too. Has a lot of "clean" gain on tap at low bias levels but definitely adds a little something - and it works really well to, as W&C says, add some life to one's tone before it gets digitized when playing right into a DAW. I'm pretty happy with it.
It's the Briggs Diamante compressor (simplified version of the Diamond compressor) but built to the specs of the bass version. I designed and had a custom PCB fabricated to fit inside this enclosure after running into some problems with the circuit. Now it works fine and looks even better! Stonework paint courtesy of my partner again (another great job). Quite happy with how this turned out!
A note also for those that have been having trouble with the Diamante. With the stock build as can be found on the main page, I was getting a hellish, farting distortion at high compression settings (completely unusable), as several people pointed out. I was also using the Xvive VTL5C3 workalike, but neither using a home-rolled vactrol instead, nor switching to an 18v supply, nor trying lower Vf diodes ameliorated the issue at all. After some long-winded investigating on the breadboard, I discovered that the envelope detector in this circuit is simply really cantankerous, and doesn't have very good ripple rejection - what fixed my problem was increasing the ripple suppressor capacitor from 2.2uF to 10+ uF (I ended up using a 22uF), since 2u2 isn't enough to smooth the ripple at high compression settings (if you remove the capacitor completely you can see how terrible it is). Doing this slows the decay a bit too but I'm okay with it the way it stands. I also had good success with a GL5539 and a waterclear green LED.