Show your pedal guts!

1 ... 85868788899091

Re: Show your pedal guts!

amsterdam

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
i have a 30mm fan coming monday along with a metal grill

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim

Soon.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
I drilled the fan holes on the wrong side 🤦‍♂️  Did y realize until it was too late.

Also it’s just barely big enough for my photo box haha.   The enclosure is a 1590F - dimensions of two 1590DD enclosures side by side and about 2.5x as tall 🙃

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Kost1978
Proco RAT with mods and JCM800 Simulator

JCM800 Simulator

Proco RAT

Hi everybody, it's a long time since I posted something here in the forum, but I'm always checking what's going on. Since when I started, a lot of great guys arriived to help Mark and Miro, so I'd like to thank ALL of you for the great job you're doing in keeping us busy with the layouts and letting us learn something new everyday.

Back in good old Italy we're in complete lockdown since last week and it looks like is even getting worse... But, being at home (and being fine, my little town is quite OK), I found a lot of "free" time and started building again.

Here are my recent ones:
A great RAT with Ruetz Mod on a knob and external clipping switch, really a great pedal especially with the mods.
The JCM800 Simulator from the main page running at 18V thanks to a charge pump, which really does a great job in getting close to the real deal (I have a 1989 JCM800 4010).

As you can see, I'm still not really good with the pedals' insides!

Have a nice week!
Paolo.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Pavlos
from one Paul to another, glad to hear you're ok over there.  Only managed to go to Italy once, drove from Ancona up to Garda then on from there up through Austria and back to the UK, but even in November it was a beautiful place, and lovely people too.

Wiring is a dark art, and only some have mastered it

Glad to see you managing to find something constructive to stay at least reasonably sane in these horrific and crazy times

Stay healthy and stay safe everyone

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Nice work guys!!! I’ve still been working since there is an exemption for housing construction in California. Kinda wish I could stay home.. got several projects in the works too

Tim, did you notice if the fan adds any noise to the audio circuit from sharing power/ground? I seem to remember reading it could add noise but have never used a fan in a build

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Travis that was my #1 concern too.   Fortunately it didn’t seem to add any noise, but I tapped off the power at the jack before it goes to the SMPS to get boosted and filtered.

Stay safe out there.   I still have to go to work but I think I’ll be able to work from home maybe one day a week... until the entire province goes into lockdown which will probably happen in the next week or so.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Kost1978
Pavlos wrote
...drove from Ancona up to Garda...
Hei Paul, funny you mention Garda, cause I live right there!
I'm on the hills on the east side of the lake!

2020 will be well remembered around here, cause we rely on turism quite a lot, but the season is already fu*$ed up really good...

Anyway, let's hope it'll pass soon and in the meantime let's build a lot of pedals to be used in the summer gigs!

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Pavlos
now there's a coincidence! that's the side I drove up! Dropped down over forested the hills at the southern end from Verona, and stopped off a few times along the way to enjoy the scenery before a leisurly wander round Riva del Garda in the afternoon. Gotta say Paolo, you live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure to visit, I bet you have an amazing view out over the lake?

and the tourists might have to stay away at the moment, but I'm sure that they will be back. Once this awful situation is over, we're all going to need to find and enjoy the beauty in this world to help our hearts and souls recover.

Summer gigs?, I've seen a few reports that people are singing out of their windows, playing guitars and other instruments on their balconies, and all sorts of other crazy but brillant stuff like that. Looks like you've already decided that staying safely at home doen't mean you can't keep each other entertained at a safe distance

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Kost1978
Hey Paul,
I've just reread what I typed, actually I live in the WEST side of the lake, not the EAST...

But anyway, it's almost the same! Actually I do not really see the lake from home, cause I'm just right down the hill, but going to the beaches is just a 10 minutes trip by vespa...
The place is really really beautiful, every time I see the lake I feel really lucky to live here! It's almost like beeing on  holyday all year long!

Yes, a lot of musicians (pro or not) are really doing stuff to keep up with the quarantine. One of my bandmates living in Milan is doing a "gig" everyday at 18:00 from his balcony and it's really fun watching him via FB!

Let's hope to get back to normal life soon and start playing outside again, I'm sure it'll be quite a big party as soon as this thing is ended!

BTW, better say goodbye, cause we're really stealing the topic, which is about something completely different!
Have a nice day!

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Bolsyo
Green Russian '94. A bit messy wiring, used too thick wire. Love using those big red/brown caps wherever I can these days, need some creative bending to make them fit tho, but that's just fun. Used 2N5089, gonna try BC549C/550C and 2N5088 to compare at some point.

CE-2 (Sabrotone) in a 125B, never ever again! If I ever make another, it will be in a 1590BB for sure. I first wired everything up and got the dreaded ticking... took everything out of the enclosure and tried moving the pots and wires around to see if I could identify what was causing it. Every time the TL022 or the rate pot was close to the input jack or wires, there was a lot of ticking. Had to desolder the pots and solder on longer wires, turn the board 180 degrees so the TL022 faced the opposite way as far away from the input as possible, and move the rate pot to the hole furthest away too. That solved the ticking issues, amazing chorus.

Barbershop, this is one of my favourite pedals for bass! Love these smaller layouts where I can mount the card to the bottom of the enclosure, so much easier to wire. Replaced the drain resistors with 10k trimmers for bias in series with a 4,7k resistor, so lots of wiggleroom to audition different jfets. Giant Panasonic polycap and FC electrolytics, metal can 2N2222A, smd J201s on adapterboards from bitsbox.

DOD 250 with a switch for stock 914 diodes, no diodes (Micro Amp), or germanium diodes (Distortion Plus). Tesla MAA741 metal can op-amp, russian D9L germanium diodes.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

I like your approach to modding/problem solving. Very nice work!

With the green muff my recommendation is usually all ceramic caps and BC550C

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Zanius
Long time no build post but here I am with something I tried for the first time. Jacks under vero in a 1590B.
It's a small clone, lumberg jacks, low profile electros. It barely fits, but it's up and working :)

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Been working on a few other things recently:

Took my x88r layout in the contributions section and shrunk it down to fit into a 1590B enclosure.

Also been working on a custom signature pedal for a local guitarist.   It has a pre distortion and post distortion boost.  The distortion is based on my samurai distortion.  Still waiting on the proper enclosure - going to be giving taydas uv printing service a spin.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Tim that is some very pro stuff. I love it! Looks like you’re using 9mm PCB mount Alphas on the small one?

Have you ever used IDC connectors before? With your PCB work I’m wondering if that’s something you’d like to streamline production even further. I’m currently using them in a few projects (not my designs) and I think they could be great for linking a bypass board to the main board. Or even pin headers

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Yup.  As much as I like the alpha 9mm pots I’m starting to move away from them, especially on builds in bb or larger enclosures.   The 16mm ones are less than 1/2 the cost and more suppliers seem to have them vs just Tayda and smallbear for the 9mm ones.

I’ve thought about using pin headers but that doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room for lining up the boards, so for the time being I’ll just have to deal with a bit of wiring.

The I/o boards are such time savers tho.  I wish I had done that years ago!

Now if only there was a 2.1 mm power jack with a construction similar to the neutrik 1/4” jacks!

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tim that is some very pro stuff. I love it! Looks like you’re using 9mm PCB mount Alphas on the small one?

Have you ever used IDC connectors before? With your PCB work I’m wondering if that’s something you’d like to streamline production even further. I’m currently using them in a few projects (not my designs) and I think they could be great for linking a bypass board to the main board. Or even pin headers

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Show-your-pedal-guts-tp8569p48457.html
To unsubscribe from Show your pedal guts!, click here.
NAML
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Show your pedal guts!

PStevenson

doing these big copper busbars does have a purpose outside of looking cool
they slightly lower the noise especially in high gain pedals however I started doing it
cause I got sick of jacks coming loose, with these - that never happens.
I must warn you; if any of you try this technique, you'll find it very difficult if you don't have
a soldering iron with the heating element built into the tip, oh and you will get burned too.

this is a layout from this page (fortin 33)

www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
That is cool!

Is that 2 pieces that you twisted together?

Love the inscription on the back of the pot, too.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

PStevenson

no, it's 3 pieces, I used a drill to twist it - just be careful if you do it cause if the grips come loose and the wire comes out - it will flick everywhere.

of course, rigid copper wire construction can get addictive