Show your pedal guts!

1 ... 868788899091

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Kost1978
Rockett 45 Caliber (thanks HamishR) with two footswitchable gain pots an a SHO after as boost.
...And the usual mess under the hood!

Re: Show your pedal guts!

bogey
Had a bit of time on my hands.
So Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom.

Toggle switches under the board meant the base plate wouldn't go on, so I added a piece of Perspex to give a bit of clearance.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
A few recent builds

Transmission bass preamp based on the Yamaha bb1200

Jcm 800

Soldano x88r.   I left out the output buffer in this build but I’m making a small 1 valve board to add this buffer to pretty much anything.  SMPS to get just under 300V B+.  I would like to go higher, but I think I’m saturating the inductor.

Finally,  the N95 fuzz.  A green Russian muff with a mids control.   Pretty basic.  I’m donating all profits from this pedal to a covid-19 charity.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Pavlos
Hey Bogey, where there is a problem, there is a solution just waiting to be found, and the detail of the black line round the enclosure looks really good with the rest of the pedal. looks like you used clear perspex and then painted it?

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Pavlos
Tim, those white PCB's look great, and if I didn't know better I'd be wondering if a lot  of your recent creations were 'ringers' from a commercial company they're that professional, brilliant work

Re: Show your pedal guts!

nonost
Ey!

That's a Lavache:

a close up:

The art side:

I hand painted the enclosure with a little brush and I loved the color.

Cheers!

Re: Show your pedal guts!

glasspak73
Hi Tim do you sell the pcb boards to make the Soldano x88r?I would love to build one using those pcb boards

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Unfortunately no.  all of them are populated and in enclosures.

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 5:41 PM glasspak73 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim do you sell the pcb boards to make the Soldano x88r?I would love to build one using those pcb boards

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Show-your-pedal-guts-tp8569p48744.html
To unsubscribe from Show your pedal guts!, click here.
NAML

Re: Show your pedal guts!

bogey
Hi everybody. Like most people I've had some extra time to kill, so I built this Shin Ei FY2.

Highly recommend you all build one of these for some instant "Jesus and Mary Chain".

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Mulekicker
Nice! I gotta build another fy2, mine keep going to other people. Its my favorite buzzy fuzz.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
I’m super excited about this one:   It’s an adaptation of the marshall valvestate 8100 preamp.  Nails those 90s death metal tones in spades.

I had some time to finish a project that I’ve had on my bench for a few months.  I still need to do a bit of tweaking.  It’s a 1959 SLP plexi.  There’s a 3-way toggle (missing in the pic... still waiting for it) that lets you control normal, bright, or both inputs.   There’s a push/push button on the back that lets you switch between hi and low inputs also.   SMPS pushing about 300V from a 9V input.

The valves verge originally intended to be in the other side but I miscalculated the size of those capacitors in the middle of the main board.  Oopsy.  The enclosure is a hammond 1590D.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

I have used a lot of those pushbutton switches and I know how hard it must be to drill the hole accurately enough for that by hand

Could you point me towards the info you use for the charge pump? 300V from a 9V supply is insane

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Travis,

Using calipers serious upped my game for measuring locations.  That and reading the data sheets.

This isn’t a charge pump - it’s an SMPS power supply that’s based on a nixie SMPS.   Dexter posted some stuff on this several years ago on FSB  when he developed “the preamp”.   There are also a few pages that go thru a nixie power supply.   I can send you some links when I am on my laptop.  Don’t have it on my phone.

It basically uses a 555 timer as an oscillator to charge the inductor and then when the inductor discharges you can built up some serious voltage.   Apparently it’s possible to get 400+ from it but I seem to be stuck at 300v - don’t know if it’s my inductor that’s saturating or if it’s something else in my design that might be limiting the voltage.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
argh.  so i realized i made a stupid mistake in wiring the push/push Hi/Low switch  :facepalm:

Gonna have to re-spin the board.  I don't know if it's something that i can fix with cutting traces and flywires.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim

Realized I wired the relay wrong .  Argh.

Gives me an excuse to convert the remaining components to SMD also.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Is the relay issue something you can fix by soldering it to the other side of the PCB?

Nice work as always. Is that a genuine MillMax dip 8 socket?

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Thanks Travis.  This was my first attempt at PCBA with JLC and it turned out REALLY nice.

I had left the charge pump and relays and electros as TH because the charge pump area is always the region that gets damaged if someone supplies more voltage than the charge pump can take.  I recently found a great (and low parts count) voltage clamp that will limit the input voltage to 10V. it it goes over it just shorts to ground and protects the circuit.  I'm going to put this on all of my circuits that use an LT1054 and switch all the didoes and electros to SMD.

Probably going to keep the 1054 as TH because the SMD version is 2-3x the price AND it's an "extended part" so there's an extra charge from JLC

Yeah I had to cut traces under the relay and run flywires.   you can see some of the orange flywires around the relay.

The socket is one of the DIP-8 machined ones from tayda.  never had a problem with those sockets.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
So last night was a mile stone for me.

my first UV printed, 100% SMD and relay bypass pedal:

This is one of the pedals that I first made when i started building pedals about 7 years ago.  Funny how things come full circle sometimes. :)

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
I've gone off the deep end.  send halp

Gallien Krueger 250ML in a pedal.

i'm using a LT3467 based DC-DC converter to get ±15V rails at 100mA.  The traditional LT1054 charge pump can't supply anywhere near enough current for this application.

The effects portion (chorus, echo, chorus+echo) is handled by an FV-1 DSP (expecting it to arrive before the end of the week).  I have some code that i wrote last year for a very 80s sounding chorus that i will be using. i just need to get a simple echo algorithm set up and burn it to the EEPROM and we're good to go!

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Very cool man! When I googled that amp pretty much everything that comes up is about Iron Maiden so I’m pretty sure I like it
1 ... 868788899091