Show your pedal guts!

1 ... 10111213141516 ... 91

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Chris60601
Sweet! I'm sold. I'll add this one to the build list. I wasn't a fan of gated tone but I gotta admit, it has grown on me

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Nice job on the big cheese, sounds like an interesting pedal.

Btw, my last build. A BJFE Blueberry as opposed to the Bearfoot Blueberry.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
Bugman Bugcrusher:

Dark Amber overdrive:

EQD Talons:

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Nice job john. What schematic did you use to make the amber od? The last I read over at FSB was the schematic wasn't verified, and I assume you called it the dark amber od because you modded it for bass, right?

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Chris60601
Now why  can't I build this clean.... Grrrr.
Awesome my friend. How's it sound with the bass?
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

To be honest......FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!!! As soon as I plugged in and turned it on I feel in love with it, like it went to the top of my favorite/best bass OD's list. It sounded exactly like I thought it would based on all the rave reviews of it, and the legend behind it. It's warm, round, and fat, retains the tone of my bass and can actually add everything from a hint of grit to quite I bit of grit, like with the gain dimmed it's got a surprising amount for a low gain OD. It can be a little on the too dark/muddy end, but I think that can be cured by lowering the massive 22uF cap on one end of the tone control, but I'm leaving it as is. Unlike the Bearfoot blueberry, there's no mid bump at all. With the Bearfoot Blueberry and the mid bump I can easily nail Lemmy's Ace of Spades tone, the BJFE can do it, but took a lot of tweaking, and I ran a booster into it to get it and it still felt a little off.

And it's messier then I want it to be. I still need to do a little straightening out of the wires. What's not is with the width of the board and wires it pushes up against the sides of the enclosure to hold everything in place.

Oh and it's my first build with my new Edsyn 951sxe soldering station, and it's a god send. I don't think my soldering has been as neat and clean, or a build come together as smoothly and fast as this one. I really didn't think a temperature controlled station would make as much of a difference as it did. Totally with the investment.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
rocket88 wrote
Nice job john. What schematic did you use to make the amber od? The last I read over at FSB was the schematic wasn't verified, and I assume you called it the dark amber od be jade you modded if for bass, right?
I used the one on the german site where they degooped one.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
GK 800RB  'Rails' pedal:

Transboost (boost with transformer output pedal:

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Thanks Zach. I think the Big Cheese will get used a lot.

The Blueberry looks sweet! Those jacks are cool. I spy an enclosure from the bitches

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
BJFE Blueberry:

Mutron  phasor II:

Colorsound Bass Fuzz:

EHX Octave Multiplexer:

Lovepedal Les Lius:

Re: Show your pedal guts!

The finish on that Colorsound Bass Fuzz looks great. Is it from pedalpartsplus?

You are pretty heavy on the trademark abuse lol

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
Travis wrote
The finish on that Colorsound Bass Fuzz looks great. Is it from pedalpartsplus?

You are pretty heavy on the trademark abuse lol
yep. pedalpartsplus enclosures, but sanded smooth and buffed.

the only reason I use the original logos is that I just build them for myself and t I can keep track of what they are after building approx 400 different pedals.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Freppo
Hey John
Great to see you started doing home etched PCB's and enclosures!
The enclosures looks great! What kind of etchant are you using?
I have had best results with caustic soda so far
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Luke51411
Johnk, Great builds!!! Is there a project doc for the octave multiplexer? I used to own one and would like to again.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
Freppo wrote
Hey John
Great to see you started doing home etched PCB's and enclosures!
The enclosures looks great! What kind of etchant are you using?
I have had best results with caustic soda so far
I use ferric chloride for the PCBs and  Acid Magic  for the enclosures. Acid Magic is cleaner, way less toxic and etches the aluminum super fast.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
Luke51411 wrote
Johnk, Great builds!!! Is there a project doc for the octave multiplexer? I used to own one and would like to again.
I used this one but slightly modified it:

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Let me echo the others and say those are awesome builds, johnk!  Thanks for sharing...

I especially like your way of providing strain relief on the the connection wires coming from the board, and how they can be neatly routed to the controls.  Well done.

"...after building approx 400 different pedals. "

Yikes, I thought I was getting bad with my three dozen builds (most of which are still unboxed...).

Re: Show your pedal guts!

alltrax74
John, how do you like the Talons ?

Re: Show your pedal guts!

johnk
alltrax74 wrote
John, how do you like the Talons ?
I like it a lot.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Luke51411
Thanks John. I don't currently etch and I don't think this would be a good first etch but I will file it away for someday when I have time. I would be interested in what mods you performed as well.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 91