Show your pedal guts!

1 ... 80818283848586 ... 91

Re: Show your pedal guts!

bogey
Cheers Travis,
That's a keen eye you have. It is indeed a Newmarket (NKT 272). I got a few in job lot of various Ge trannies a while back, Hfe is around 75 if I remember correctly.

On another note.....I was reading GrooveChampion's request about transformer builds and wondered if the Broadcast would be suitable. He says he has 42TM018's which are 10k:10k as is the TY141P.

I know nothing about transformers and thought you might be able to shed some light.

Regards Bogey.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Ooh cool man! Whenever I use Newmarket or other desirable transistors I try to position the tranny so the label is visible. You gotta SEE the mojo

I haven’t built that circuit or tried swapping those transformers before. Looking at the specs, the TY141P has a considerably more extended frequency range as well as a higher resistance (among other differences)

The TY141P frequency range is 200Hz-15kHz whereas the 42TM018 is 300Hz-3.4kHz. I’m not sure how much difference this makes in this application. If it were an EQ or mic with such different frequency ranges they would sound extremely different. Not sure how that translates to transformers in this particular application since I have not experimented with this before (shame on me!)

Re: Show your pedal guts!

balazs.bencs
I just built one Broadcast with an AC125 and TY141P. It is a fantastic pedal, it sounds very good: very clean, it feels so much different than any other pedal I think.
For my taste, it is a little bit too bright (my amp is a JTM45 copy), so it might be a good idea to try it with the TM018, which would cut the highs more. I think you should try it and listen... then buy the correct transformer if you missing highs in the sound. It is a fantastic pedal, no question.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

bogey
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Travis, much appreciated.

I did have my tranny flaunting it's MOJO but had to bend it over to get the base on. It would of been a better fit if I'd swapped the switch and pot around but I preferred the look of the top layout the way I have it.

balazs, mine doesn't seem too bright and I prefer the gainier settings. I even ditched the lowest of the 3 gain settings. But I agree it's a fantastic sounding pedal.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

balno
My last Trotsky Overdrive. Only point to point and terminal strip wiring. Solid wire, bulletproof wiring and T-34 construction style.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Silver Blues
That's awesome.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Gabi Smith
This thing is f*cking sexy

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Snow White Auto Wah

MAO

Re: Show your pedal guts!

MAO
Nice Sensei,
Do you have the board glued to the pots?
And why on the ICs?
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Mao,

I have two drops of hot glue to hold the board onto the plastic pot covers on top and have a PCB standoff in the bottom right corner.  The board isn’t going to move but you can still “make” is come off if you need to.

I put a drop on the ic’s and semiconductors to keep them from popping out.  USPS has abused some of my pedals enough to knock components out of their sockets 🙃.  This way they’re not coming out unless you want them too.
MAO

Re: Show your pedal guts!

MAO
Very cool, seems like a great idea.
Think I'd like to give it a try.
Do you have a preferred glue and gun?
Any tips you can share regarding?
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Show your pedal guts!

GrooveChampion
MAO, can you please post your optical true bypass layout?
MAO

Re: Show your pedal guts!

MAO
Hey Groove,
Its the 1776 Optotron.
You'd probably be better off purchasing their pcbs as its a bit tricky the way I'm using it.
But I'll gladly post it tomorrow along with some necessary notes.
I might have 2 versions of it too.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Show your pedal guts!

GrooveChampion
Is it considered true bypass?

And thanks man, is there something I can do for you? I tried veroing some schematics but the last program I used was hard for me to get used to.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
I have a Stanley dual temperature glue gun that I’ve had for 20+ Years.  It’s quite large and the tip is probably bigger than you need.  If I was to get a new one I’d get one of the smaller ones (if they do dual temp glue)

I always use the high temp mode with high temp glue.

A little goes a long way.  I try to only put a dime size drop of glue to hold the board to the pot

You have some time between dispensing the glue and when it starts to set - maybe 15-30 seconds so you have time to align everything and hold it while the glue sets

Make sure you let the gun get up to temp.  The glue should have the consistency of honey or molasses when it comes out.  If you dispense it too cool then it won’t stick well.

It’s probably overkill but if I have a lot of large mass vertical components like electros I’ll touch a drop on them for added stability and strain relief so nothing will move if the pedal is dropped.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

I’ve been hot gluing my boards to the back of pots for years too. I love it for 1590B and 125B builds

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim

Boss ce-2B

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
EBMM 3-band preamp

Re: Show your pedal guts!

Sensei Tim
Clone theory!

I got sick of doing this on stripboard (mistakes, assembly time, dealing with lfo tick, etc) so I made my own PCB layout.

Re: Show your pedal guts!

PMowdes
Nice work buddy, howd's it sound??
1 ... 80818283848586 ... 91